Below are annotations for “Untitled [How’d you know]” 6 pages in Cinema Purgatorio #8
Writer: Christos Gage, Artist: Gabriel Andrade
Note: Some of this is obvious, but you never know who’s reading and what their exposure is. If there’s anything we missed or got wrong, let us know in comments.
- The cover depicts Janna Pleshette and her yet-unnamed kaiju.
- The internal cover reprints the cover from CP#7, which goes with this story (as CP#7 mistakenly reprinted CP#6’s The Vast story.)
- Left to right are humans: Janna Pleshette, Stan Pons, and Keith Dyson.
- First appearance of “The Nursery.”
- “Kaiju” is the Japanese giant-monster genera; it’s Japanese for “strange beast.”
- The Russian kaiju nursery is somewhat reminiscent of the Crossed+100 Crossed training facilities, portrayed by the same artist Gabriel Andrade, and written by Alan Moore.
- Apparently “the nurturers” are a faction separate from the Americans.
- “Terraformer” implies a class of kaiju that can have significant impacts on the planetary environment. The existence of such creatures running wild may be an existential threat to humanity. The control of such a creature is obviously of (pardon the pun) Vast importance.
- This panel sets up a page-turn reveal.
- “Caleb” is Pleshette’s lover (fiance?), featured in CP#2.
- “Elmendorf Air Force Base” is an actual base located in Anchorage, Alaska.