Below are annotations for “Untitled (What’s left of Anchorage, Alaska)” 6 pages in Cinema Purgatorio #3
Writer: Christos Gage, Artist: Gabriel Andrade
Note: Some of this is obvious, but you never know who’s reading and what their exposure is. If there’s anything we missed or got wrong, let us know in comments.
General: The grounded pilots walk through Anchorage wreckage. They encounter a mutated man, then enter a store. Janna encounters a small monster, which she feeds a twinkle snack, after which it follows her.
- The city does not appear to be Anchorage where the story is taking place.
- Left to right are Keith Dyson, Janna Pleshette and Chu.
- “Kodiak Island,” mentioned last issue, is an actual large island in the state of Alaska.
- “On our six” refers to the location of numbers on a clock face, with six being directly behind.
- This panel sets up a page-turn reveal.
Page 3 – no specific annotations
- “Iwinkles” appear to be Twinkies, likely renamed to avoid copyright infringement.
- Christos Gage, in this comment, mentioned that “The bit inThe Vast where Janna feeds the baby monster Twinkies is a nod to the 1970s Marvel/DC Hostess ads where the junk food defeated the villains.”
Page 6 – no specific annotations