Annotations for “Untitled (36 Hours Earlier)” 6 pages in Cinema Purgatorio #2
Writer: Christos Gage, Artist: Gabriel Andrade
Note: Some of this is obvious, but you never know who’s reading and what their exposure is. If there’s anything we missed or got wrong, let us know in comments.
General: The story begins with Jenna receiving a briefing on the Vast’s progress through Australia, Marshall Islands, and Japan. She then makes love with Caleb. The narrative from issue 1 resumes as grounded pilots take stock of a monster-ravaged Anchorage, AK.
- The woman is the Vast’s apparent protagonist Janna Pleshette.
- The crab monster is similar to the one that appeared last issue, but that one did not have tentacles.
- “Kodiak Island” is an actual large island in the state of Alaska.
- In the center of the panel is the apparent protagonist Janna Pleshette. Apparently the man to the left (her right) is her love interest, later identified as her fiance, Caleb.
- The shell-shaped building is the iconic Syndey (Australia) Opera House. Behind it is the Sydney Harbor Bridge.
- The “Marshall Islands” are a Pacific island nation.
- The location depicted appears to be the Tempozan Ferris Wheel in Osaka, Japan.
- “Kaiju” is Japanese for strange beast. The term generally refers to the genera of monster movies that includes Godzilla.
Page 4 – no specific annotations
- The time frame resumes from soon after the end of issue 1. The location is Anchorage, Alaska.
- A “MIG” or Mikoyan is a Russian fighter airplane.