Annotations for “18: We All Went Through the Flames” 8 pages in Cinema Purgatorio #18
Writer: Garth Ennis, Artist: Raulo Caceres
Note: Some of this is obvious, but you never know who’s reading and what their exposure is. If there’s anything we missed or got wrong, let us know in comments.
General: Pru and Eric remove a stake from the heart of the vampire William. William survives, but later commits suicide by jumping out a window into the daylight, which immolates him.
- The cover does not actually take place in the issue. It references the folktale of the headless horseman. The horseman has broken a window and beheaded several manikins. The actual horseman’s head is the pumpkin.
- On the couch is William, the suicidal lisping vampire who first appeared in CP1.
- “We all went through the flames” doesn’t quite match anything exactly – suggest?? (Poking around Google brings up the song Through the Fire and Flames by Dragonforce.)
- “Did oo ged eddy uv vy meffagef?” is “did you get any of my messages?” This suggests that the messages William referred to leaving in CP11 P2p3 were addressed to Eric.
- “Id hurfff! If oh bad!” is “it hurts! It’s so bad!”
- “Pleeeeeff…!” is “please!”
- Pru looking at the view here is a nice bit of foreshadowing, establishing that the sun is out, and visible from this window.
- “Ond go yed” is “don’t go yet.”
- “Ahm jufd yanging cloff, wade” is “I’m just changing clothes, wait.”
- “Be ride oud” is “[I will] be right out.”
- “I didnd wand a ferafift” is “I didn’t want a therapist.”
- “Or a confeffuh. Id waf jufd nife haffing fumone do dalk do” is “Or a confessor. It was just nice having someone to talk to.”
- As a vampire, William burns when exposed to the sun.
>Go to annotations index