Annotations for “14: Busted” 8 pages in Cinema Purgatorio #14
Writer: Garth Ennis, Artist: Raulo Caceres
Note: Some of this is obvious, but you never know who’s reading and what their exposure is. If there’s anything we missed or got wrong, let us know in comments.
- The cover depicts some kind of siren or mermaid, which does not appear in the issue. Raulo Caceres described the cover as “I simply wanted to use the typical image of the nurse signaling for silence (I remember that iconography of my childhood, on posters of the hospital) and it occurred to me that I could have as a patient a siren who with her singing had bewitched the hospital staff unintentionally.”
- Story title “Busted” – suggest?? (Though earlier issue titles have referenced monster movies… this one may just be something a police officer would say… and Montagnani’s mom might say when she discovers him with someone else in bed?)
- “Going and fucking yourself as hard as you possibly could” is what Pru told the police officer to do earlier – see CP#2 P7,p5.
- “My blood was up” is an expression meaning Pru was angry.
- “Why did you call us that time?” apparently refers to CP#2, which ends with Pru and Eric wondering who had called them.
- “Paras” is short for “Paranormal-Americans,” Code Pru’s politically correct term for monsters – see CP#4 P1.
- “Riordan” was the CP#2 police officer who made homophobic slurs.
- Pru’s “parents getting decapitated” continues clues toward her parents, Annabelle and Alabaster Slapweather.
- “Suicidal vampire… William” – see CP#1.
- “Headbutt…” – see CP#2.
- “Para–” – see P4,p3 above.
Page 7 – no specific annotations
- Sudden rain? – suggest??