Annotations for “12: Clever Girl” in Cinema Purgatorio #12
Writer: Garth Ennis, Artist: Raulo Caceres
Note: Some of this is obvious, but you never know who’s reading and what their exposure is. If there’s anything we missed or got wrong, let us know in comments.
General: The story riffs on the movie Jurassic Park.
- The cover scene, which does not appear in the story, depicts H.P. Lovecraft’s famous elder god-monster Cthulhu in the city R’lyeh. Cthulhu appears to be suffering from a cold, and has sneezed over Pru’s rowboat (thanks, Greenaum!).
- Governor’s Island is an actual island located in New York City, near Brooklyn and Manhattan. In our world, it is primarily a tourist area.
- In the background are Castle Williams and the Brooklyn Bridge.
- “Clever girl” is a line said by the hunter to the raptor in the 1992 movie Jurassic Park. It is popular enough to be a meme-ed GIF.
- Castle Williams is an early 19th Century fort on Governor’s Island.
- This view of Castle Williams is similar to one on Wikipedia.
- It is unclear why the guards are concerned about maintaining blackout conditions (and thus upset about the fallen curtain). Do lights upset the animals? Or are they pretending to the outside world that this island is deserted?
- “Taint” is the area between the genitals and the anus. (So named because it “t’aint one nor t’other”.)
- “the big ay-plus” refers to the previous chapter, where Pru learned that Eric had spoken highly of her to Squidpump.
Page 5 – no specific annotations
- The horns are, of course, those of a triceratops dinosaur.
- “more of a park” refers to the title “Jurassic Park”.
Page 7 – no specific annotations
- Judith, seen in CP#11, has very wide hips. The joke is that instead of being afraid of heights, she is afraid of widths.