Annotations for “3: A Little Something To Lower Your Spririts” 8 pages in Cinema Purgatorio #3
Writer: Garth Ennis, Artist: Raulo Caceres
Note: Some of this is obvious, but you never know who’s reading and what their exposure is. If there’s anything we missed or got wrong, let us know in comments.
General: Pru and Eric encounter a segmented snake-alien monster that burst forth from the stomach of a victim. They subdue and capture the monster, then drop it off at an underground site.
Cover – no specific annotations
- Left is Pru; right is her co-worker Eric Astrachan.
- The monster is similar to the one in the chestburster scene from 1979 movie Alien.
- The sound of the monster “RRRIIIEEEEE…” is the same sound that comes from one of Squidpump’s cages – see Code Pru #1 P7,p4 and #2 P21,p3. The creature itself resembles Squidpump’s caged segmented monster that appears on P3 of Code Pru #2. That earlier monster is larger than the current one, so perhaps the current one is a juvenile version of the same species.
Page 3-5 – no specific annotations
- First mention of Pru’s last name and any of Eric Astrachan’s name.
- “Willam” is the vampire from issue #1.
- “Francis” is the Frankenstein monster from issue #2.
- The underground area may be the area where Jon Squidpump imprisons the monsters – seen in Code Pru issues #1 and #2.
- There is a deliberately missing line of dialogue between pages 7 and 8. From Pru’s response “sleeps at Riley” the reader can infer that Eric has mentioned something related to“In his house at R’lyeh dead Cthulhu waits dreaming.” from H.P. Lovecraft’s story “The Call of Cthulhu.”