Below are annotations for “1: You Never Forget Your First Time” 8 pages in Cinema Purgatorio #1
Writer: Garth Ennis, Artist: Raulo Caceres
Note: Some of this is obvious, but you never know who’s reading and what their exposure is. If there’s anything we missed or got wrong, let us know in comments.
- Pru is in the center.
- Left to right are movie monsters: the Wolf Man (from The Wolf Man, 1941), below: a mogwai (from Gremlins, 1984), and Gill-man (from The Creature from the Black Lagoon, 1954).
- Image is the cover art for Code Pru #1.
- Second from the left female is Pru. Male on the left is Pru’s co-worker Eric Astrachan.
- Truck reads “F.D.N.Y.” for Fire Department New York.
Page 2 – no specific annotations
- William the vampire’s accent is British, with a lisp (presumably due to his fang teeth.)
- William the vampire is eyeing Pru’s neck wanting to bite into it.
- “Oh, eef fucking teef! I feel like udge a cunk umtifef!” is “Oh, these fucking teeth! I feel like such a cunt sometimes!” Pru mis-hears cunt as count.
- “Silver sulfadiazine” is a skin medication. Typically vampires have weaknesses regarding silver.
- Nitpick: British spelling “socialised” should probably be the American spelling “socialized”.
- “Oh, ffit” is “Oh, shit.”
- “I juft…” is “I just…”
- “Iff been alife for–oo know how long iff been alife, and nuffing ever getf any better, nuffing ever chanffeff.” is “I’ve been alive for — who knows how long I’ve been alive, and nothing ever changes.” This refers to vampires immortality.
- “Iff juff a fame ol ffit, man. Umh fucking fick of iff.” is “It’s just the same old shit, man. I’m fucking sick of it.”
- “Oo don’t know whad iff like, man! I mean how waf I fuppoffed to know eternal life waf going to fuck?” is “You don’t know what it’s like, man! I mean how was I supposed to know eternal life was going to suck?”
- “Fuifide” is “suicide”.
- “Forry” is “sorry”.
- “Fout” is “shout”.
Page 7 – no specific annotations
- These form a zoom sequence.