Below are annotations for Code Pru #1 “The Past is Prulogue: Part One” (22 pages, cover date December 2015, released 30 December 2015)
Writer: Garth Ennis, Artist: Raulo Caceres
Note: Some of this is obvious, but you never know who’s reading and what their exposure is. If there’s anything we missed or got wrong, let us know in comments.
General: This issue introduces Pru as a no-nonsense science- and math-interested foil to her witchcraft practicing roommate and circle of friends. In a separate location, hospital administrator Jon Quidpump plays a game of Monopoly with an elder god monster.
- For what it is worth, there is a coloring difference between the print cover and the cover image (above) promoted in advance. The printed cover tentacles are all green (with yellow and red circles) with no purple or blue coloration.
- There is nothing today called precisely “NASA MarsCam” but it is similar to the NASA Mars Curiousity Rover mast camera (or “mastcam“) and other cameras mounted on robotic vehicles sent to explore the planet Mars.
- First appearance of Pru.
- Left to right are Lisa, Judy, Bridget (all first appearances) and Pru.
Page 3 – no specific annotations
- “Orgonne energy” was an invention of psychoanalyst Wilhelm Reich, who believed it to be a cosmic energy related to love and orgasm, and enjoyed a brief respectability before being rejected as pseudoscience and adopted by occultists. Orgone featured in the works of Kenneth Grant as well as Neonomicon (#2 P16,p1), Grant Morrison’s The Invisibles, and elsewhere.
Page 5 – no specific annotations
- First appearance of Jon Squidpump and the “lord of apostrophes” “Lord F;tar;gn;than;n;nff” elder god.
Page 7 – no specific annotations
- The “little dog” (officially the Scottie Dog) is a Monopoly game marker.
- The location appears to be New York City, possibly the Lower Manhattan neighborhoold of Chinatown.
Page 10 – no specific annotations
- “Ellis Island” was the long-time point of entry for immigrants coming to America.
- “Elder god[s]” – also called “great old ones” – are a pantheon of ancient dieties invented by H.P. Lovecraft.
Page 13-17 – no specific annotations
- “El Feo” is Spanish for ‘the ugly one.’
- “Offer vuckzake” is “Oh, for fuck’s sake.”
Page 20 – no specific annotations
- “Pennsylvania Avenue… with a hotel” is the Elder God referring to a property on the Monopoly board.
- “Cthulhu” is H.P. Lovecraft’s tentacle-headed monster from the story “The Call of Cthulhu.”
Page 22 – no specific annotations