Below are annotations for “Untitled (U.S. Skirmish line, 2 miles south of Gettyburg)” 8 pages in Cinema Purgatorio #3
Writer: Max Brooks, Artist: Michael DiPascale
Note: Some of this is obvious, but you never know who’s reading and what their exposure is. If there’s anything we missed or got wrong, let us know in comments.
General: This installment introduces George Pickett and Arthur Freemantle. The human army spots and prepares for confrontation with the giant ants.
- The scene depicted occurs on the final panel of this issue.
- First appearance of George Edward Pickett (1825-1875) though he was mentioned in issue #2 P7,p4. Pickett was a Confederate Army officer. According to Wikipedia, he is “best remembered for his participation in the futile and bloody Confederate offensive on the third day of the Battle of Gettysburg that bears his name, Pickett’s Charge.”
- Earth’s Pickett was a “Major General”, this story’s Pickett is a “Brigadier General.”
- “Ontopaya” is, of course, “on top of you.”
Page 3 – no specific annotations
- First appearance of Arthur Lyon Freemantle a British Army officer who was present at Gettysburg.
- The USS Monitor was a Civil War ironclad battleship.
- “Palliser” is an early armor-piercing shell created by Irish Inventor William Palliser.
- “Spencer” is an early type of rifle bullet.
- It is not clear who these people are specifically – suggest??
- The Intrepid was an actual Civil War recognizance balloon.
Page 8 – no specific annotations